When you’re traveling to a hot destination, it’s important to stay cool and hydrated. Here are 10 tips to help you beat the heat:
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, even if you don’t feel thirsty. Avoid sugary drinks, which can dehydrate you further.
- Take cool showers or baths. This will help to lower your body temperature.
- Use a spray bottle to cool down. Spritz yourself with cool water throughout the day.
- Find air-conditioned places to relax. This could be a hotel room, museum, or shopping mall.
- Eat light meals. Heavy meals can make you feel hotter.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing. This will help your skin breathe and cool down.
- Apply sunscreen and wear a hat. This will protect you from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Take breaks from the sun. Find shade or go indoors during the hottest part of the day.
- Slow down and relax. Don’t try to do too much in the heat.
- Splish and splash! Go for a swim in the pool or ocean to cool off.
By following these tips, you can stay cool and comfortable while traveling to a hot destination.
Here are some additional tips that are specific to the US:
- If you’re visiting the desert, be sure to drink even more water than usual. The air is dry, so you can lose fluids without realizing it.
- If you’re visiting the South, be prepared for hot and humid weather. Dress in light, loose-fitting clothing and stay hydrated.
- If you’re visiting the Midwest, be prepared for hot summers and cold winters. Dress in layers so you can adjust to the temperature.
No matter where you’re traveling, be sure to take precautions to stay cool and safe in the heat.
Inspired to travel?
Vacation Rewards® is a member-only travel program that offers a Best Value Guarantee on all your travel needs. Not a member? Sign up FREE and receive $250 Travel Savings Credit to use instantly on your next trip.